Wednesday 11 March 2015

Painting Workshop!

In this workshop we were focusing on building and constructing a painting. We were first talked through the do's and don'ts when making a canvas, priming it and the material to use. First we started applying a ground colour as it helps you understand and organise which parts of your painting come forward and which drop back. This is known as organising the pictorial space meaning you can set the tonal range of the painting. The first painting we were asked to create was a transcription painting (a copy of a painting). I found this hard at first but having the background colour helped me so much in looking more closely at the original and deciding which tones to put down first (starting with the darkest).
 
Lucian Freud painting.
  
 
After spending the morning on the first painting. We spent the afternoon of the workshop pairing up the first hour one person modelled and the other paints them using the same technique of finding a ground colour that will help blocking in the tone. I don't think my second painting was as good as my first however I had had more time on my first painting and I was still proud of the blocking I had achieved in my second painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment