Monday 1 December 2014

Meredith Woolnough.


The mind blowing pieces Meredith Woolnough creates have inspired me to start learning and experimenting with sewing and embroidery. This relates to the sewing machine workshop I have took part in. I love her work for the contrast of the pieces being on a huge scale but having really intricate designs. Similarly to my own project Woolnough finds inspiration from the natural world I love the organic style of her work and intend to try this technique with my own piece.
These graceful forms are inspired by nature and created using water-soluble fabric to get this new dimension of lightness and delicacy. Woolnough achieves these fragile pieces by tracing a natural form onto water-soluble fabric, once she has embroidered her artwork onto the fabric and dissolved it she mounts the work on a wall, paper or whatever format the piece demands for example some she suspends in clear resin or frames. “Nature is an endless source of inspiration for my work,” Woolnough told Bored Panda (online blog). “I am fascinated by the patterns and structures found within the growth systems of plants, coral and shells, and the way things branch out and unfurl.”




 

No comments:

Post a Comment