Monday 1 December 2014

Etching...

Once the plate has cooled we could start planning what tools we were going to use and what we wanted to draw into the ground. You could use practically anything to make marks on the plate that would print a shape or pattern. Some of the tools included old darts, screws and pens. I based my drawing on the watercolour study I completed from the microscopic image of human stomach. I loved the experimenting with all of these tools I liked finding what marks I can get from each one. Once happy with our marks on the metal plates it was time to put the plates in the nitric acid. For this we needed both goggles and gloves to protect us from the acid. Whilst the plates are in acid using goose feather we remove any air bubbles on the surface of the plates as these will leave marks which would affect my print. Once we have left the metal plates in the water bath after the chemical solution they are ready to use.
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment