Tuesday 21 October 2014

A New Start.

Well i have officially started my course (Visual art) at Salford University and loving it. To say it's a big change from college is an understatement, the freedom is so daunting since we are not set a brief I can literally do anything. I intend to move out of my comfort zone completely and try anything and everything through the mass of workshops we have as part of our course. At first we had our induction to the 3D workshop as obviously there are tools and machines that we need to be shown how to use correctly and safely. I didn't realise how much was available for us to use and could not wait to have a go! From the induction we were able to take part in the first workshop which was the Sketchbook workshop. After being told to bring a sketchbook that was not ring bound and had a hard cover and back we presumed we would be doing some drawing. However we didn't know that we would be using the machines and tools to draw with. This workshop has been my favourite so far as I really enjoyed trying all the machines, tools and gadgets. Never knowing how the machine or tool would work with the sketchbook and what marks it would create was brilliant as there was no right or wrong way to do it. My favourite tool was the hand grinder as the marks and cuts into the paper and hard cover was beautiful. The workshop helped me open my mind to new ways of creating marks and exploring the limits of materials. 

No comments:

Post a Comment